Basic Photography Course
Good Photography Starts Here
Basic Photography Course Introduction
Welcome to the fascinating world of photography, where moments are frozen in time and memories are transformed into visual art. Whether you’re an aspiring enthusiast or a complete beginner, learning the basics of photography opens up a whole new realm of creativity and self-expression. In this introductory guide, we will embark on a journey to unlock the secrets behind taking captivating photographs and understanding the essential principles that govern this beautiful art form.
Photography is more than simply pressing a button on a camera; it’s an art that allows us to convey emotions, tell stories, and capture the beauty of the world around us. With each click of the shutter, we have the power to freeze a fleeting moment, immortalizing it in an image that can be shared, cherished, and enjoyed for years to come. Whether it’s a stunning landscape, a candid portrait, or a vibrant cityscape, the possibilities are endless when it comes to what you can capture through your lens.
This journey begins by understanding the fundamental elements of photography. Light, composition, and timing are the building blocks of all great photographs. Light, in particular, plays a crucial role in shaping the mood, emphasizing details, and creating visual interest in your images. By learning how to manipulate and work with light, you can add depth, drama, and a touch of magic to your photographs.
Looking for a longer course? Check out our 8 Sessions Comprehensive Photography Course, “Journeyman”.
Throughout this journey of learning basic photography, we will explore various camera techniques, and equipment essentials, to enhance your images further. We will delve into the world of aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, unravelling the mysteries of exposure and depth of field. We will also discuss different types of cameras, lenses, and accessories to help you choose the right tools for your photographic endeavours.
Remember, photography is a continuous learning process, and even the most seasoned professionals continue to discover and grow with each click of the shutter. So, whether you’re capturing cherished memories, documenting the beauty of nature, or exploring your creative side, learning the basics of photography will empower you to see the world through a different lens and capture it in a way that is uniquely your own.
Get ready to embark on an exciting journey where you’ll uncover the art, science, and joy of photography. Let’s unlock the potential of your camera, ignite your imagination, and embrace the world of visual storytelling. Welcome to the enchanting world of basic photography!
Composition is another essential aspect of photography that can transform an ordinary scene into an extraordinary image. It involves arranging the elements within the frame to create a visually pleasing and balanced composition. Understanding concepts such as the rule of thirds, leading lines, and symmetry will empower you to create visually striking photographs that draw the viewer’s eye and evoke a sense of harmony.
Timing is everything in photography. Knowing when to press the shutter and capture that decisive moment is what sets apart an average photograph from a remarkable one. Whether it’s capturing the perfect expression on a subject’s face, freezing a bird in mid-flight, or capturing the vibrant colours of a sunset, mastering the art of timing will allow you to seize those fleeting moments that make for truly extraordinary photographs.
SG Botanic Garden (Theory)
- Introduction to Photography
- Approaching learning in the correct direction
- Brief history and evolution of photography
- Different sensor sizes and their impact on making a picture (Full-Frame vs Crop Sensor)
- Understanding Photography Jargon (E.g. Shutter/Aperture/ISO/White Balance & their application
- Types of cameras: DSLR, mirrorless, point-and-shoot
- Camera components and their functions
- Camera settings: aperture, shutter speed, ISO & their relevance in photography composition
- Rules in composition and framing
- Understanding Focal Length
SG Botanic Garden (Practical I)
- Camera handling and settings
- Familiarize yourself with camera controls
- Optimising your camera settings for better picture and learning purposes
- Depth of field control
- The correct approach to getting a properly exposed picture
- Learning Shift-Focus technique
- Applying basic composition techniques for better results
- Experimenting with different angles and perspectives
- Using ideas to make better pictures
Fort Canning Park (Practical II)
- Applying points learned in 2nd session
- Further learning in using appropriate focal length
- Black & White vs. Color Settings
- Filling the frame in photography
- Exploring reference lines and symmetry to enhance the composition
- Perspective in photography
Boat Quay (Night Photography)
- Understanding Night Photography
- Challenges and opportunities of shooting in the dark
- Types of night photography: cityscapes, night portrait
- Camera Settings for Night Photography
- Adjusting aperture, shutter speed, and ISO
- Managing noise in low-light environments
- Stability and reducing camera shake using a tripod
- Long exposure techniques – Creating artistic effects with light painting
- Introduction to EV stops calculation aka exposure triangle